‘THE WORLD OF MAKE-UP’ WITH ANGELINA AMY RYAN

   

'MAKE-UP MAGIC MAKING MOVEMENTS'

The Make-up industry has continued to flourish over the last year despite the pandemic and lockdown. There’s an extensive range of brands and products on our shelves. With many taking the time to research, experiment and practice with looks, products and application, it’s an industry that’s ever changing and exciting. Social media platforms have been widely used across the nation to review products and share creations over this time, and have certainly allowed those aspiring to enter the make-up industry to keep exploring their passion and pursue their journey. Thousands have turned to Tiktok to share their talents, influencers continue to post on Instagram and share their knowledge and latest favourite brands on YouTube.

Along with the make-up hype that originates online, the industry finds itself on our television screens to, with the return of BBC Series ‘Glow Up’. Back for a third series with a new host, Maya Jama replaces Stacey Dooley in hosting the show that looks for Britain’s next top make-up artist. Judged by experts Val Garland and Dominic Skinner, 10 aspiring make-up artists compete in a series of challenges based on a variety of briefs, to demonstrate their make-up skills to the judges. The artist who is eventually crowned the winner of the contest is awarded with a contract to work with some of the world’s biggest, and most well-known, names in the make-up industry.

Not only is it an extremely entertaining show, it’s both therapeutic and inspiring to watch artists experiment with their passion and create these incredibly detailed and artistic looks. With each week bringing a different brief, it’s exciting to watch the range of techniques, styles and ideas that come to fruition. It effectively shares knowledge of the industry, a show that celebrates the joy and magic of make-up, it’s fascinating for all but especially for those wanting to enter the industry.

For those wanting to know more about make-up purchasing and where to begin, it can be helpful to talk to the artists in stores, educating and learning more can help all the accessible information from becoming too overwhelming, start with the basics and continue to explore from there. There are core uses for each product when it comes to what they’re used for, how to apply, and perfecting certain techniques, but ultimately make-up is creative and there’s free reign in that. What’s trending and popular is constantly changing, and there’s no one size fits all. For those wanting to enter the industry, keep at it, share your work, create, experiment with looks and products and don’t be afraid to make contacts and reach out.

I spoke to Angelina Amy, a 22 year old retail makeup artist for Charlotte tilbury, to hear about her experience entering and working in the industry.

IN CONVERSATION WITH ANGELINA AMY:

How did you get into make-up? When did you first acknowledge you wanted to do it as a career?

ANGELINA: “I went to London College of Fashion University of the arts and studied a BA HONS degree in hair and makeup for fashion! I always knew I wanted to get into a creative job either in the fashion or the film industry, I just didn’t know what I wanted to do in particular. I began research into the makeup industry when I was 15/16 and to be honest I used makeup as a way to build my confidence. I had acne as a teenager and it really impacted my confidence. I was so fascinated by events like London fashion week, the way the makeup was done for different shows I loved it. It always had an impact but not necessarily a purposeful meaning and I love that.”

What was your journey into the industry? Training/ qualifications?

ANGELINA: “BA HONS (hair & makeup for fashion) was a 3 year degree. You learn from one another, lots on the course had years of experience but I went into the course with never doing makeup on another person before! I just had a creative mind and wanted to use makeup as an expression.”

“I’ve worked at many beauty and fashion shoots, as well as London fashion week. I’ve worked at Charlotte Tilbury for almost 3 years now, I joined in my 2nd year at university. Honestly, working on a makeup counter is probably the best thing a makeup artist can do, you work on so many different skin types, tones, face shapes, eye shapes. It makes you a stronger makeup artist working with the public.”

What do you enjoy most about your job?

ANGELINA: “I love interacting with others. A makeup artists job is 50% creative and hands on, and 50% social and organisational skills. You have to be a people’s person. If you don’t enjoy exchanging ideas, speaking to people in general your client or model won’t feel comfortable and won’t come to you again, so your skill set isn’t the only important thing.”

What are your goals, dreams and aims as a make-up artist?

ANGELINA: “In all honesty I’d love to become a creative director. When working on set I’ve always loved putting my creative input and opinion on the final outcome, not just on the makeup. Makeup artistry wise, becoming a pro artist for Charlotte Tilbury would be incredible but I’m leaning more towards product development and creative direction. I’m currently on progression at work to join the management team and this will help me develop further.”

Why do you think make-up is important? Is doing yours and others make-up cathartic for you?

ANGELINA: “I love the ritual of doing my own makeup and how it can portray different sides of your personality, it’s like clothing but makeup wardrobing instead. I very rarely wear the same makeup look daily as I feel different in terms of mood and confidence, so I love that I’ve got a tool to express myself and to build confidence. Doing models makeup for shows or campaigns is wonderful as you go into the job with a creative mind-set, you no longer look at the face as a face you use that models face as a canvas for art. Whereas when I do makeup on counter, you’re really building your customers confidence. I love teaching and doing makeup on clientele. Your opinion and beauty knowledge is so valuable to them and I like the fact I was part of that process.”

Do you believe anyone can become a make-up artist if they wish to, can the skills be learnt or do you have to have an innate creativity and ability to be artistic before the training?

ANGELINA: “A makeup artist’s job is 50% social & 50% makeup application. With skills and technique, many people are naturally gifted but it can be learnt. You need more of a creative mind naturally, if you don’t have an initial imagination and creative thought process it will make it a lot harder! However, if you really put your mind to it a skill set can be learnt over time and the more you practice the better you become. My skill set and techniques have changed so much from when I first started working at Charlotte Tilbury compared to now! Bear in mind I only started training 4 years ago, I am a fully qualified makeup artist but you will always keep learning & gaining skills, it’s a never ending process. So if you’ve got steady hand and a creative mind you’re good to go!”

What does your current routine and lifestyle look like as a make-up artist? Your daily work?

ANGELINA: “I’m currently full time at Charlotte Tilbury on counter, so I’m working 5 days a week on my feet either doing makeup appointments or introducing customers to new products, teaching. No day on a counter is the same as you meet so many different people with different needs so it keeps the job fresh. If I was doing freelance I would be up standardly at 4/5am travelling to location setting up, doing models makeup. MUAs are the first to arrive and last to leave so the days can be long, but when you’re doing something you love it doesn’t feel like a job, you’re getting paid to do something you see as a hobby/interest so it’s great!”

Favourite brands?

ANGELINA: “Charlotte Tilbury of course is incredible, MAC, Nars for foundation/ base makeup, Bobbi brown for skincare & Kryolan for creative.”

Tips to learn make-up techniques as a beginner?

ANGELINA: “When you’re learning from the basics ‘less is more’ is what I always say to people, start with less products and a shorter routine, gain confidence with that then build up. Skincare is so important, if you’re not using the right skincare, makeup will never sit on top nicely, focusing on skincare before makeup always makes the makeup application outcome so much better.”

How did you start working for Charlotte Tilbury?

ANGELINA: “I started in November 2018! I’m currently on a progression plan to go into management. I love being proactive and hands on, but I also love the management and the understanding of the business. For the first 2 years I was part time, mostly on weekends when it’s busiest and would do makeup appointments for clientele. For the past year (Covid version of a year), I have been full time since graduating from university. Honestly in full time you learn so much as you’re always in the environment of learning management, having makeup skill development with pro artists, whereas part time you’re mostly doing makeup appointments.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'POWER IN PILATES' WITH LAUREN RUTHERFORD

'LIBERATION IN ART?' WITH SOPHIA GABRIELIDES

Welcome to my Blog!