'MIDSUMMER' SPECTACLE

                                   

CHANGELING THEATRE'S CHANGING THEATRE

As restrictions ease further, theatre progressively makes a come back. With social distancing reducing, audiences are starting to return to theatres and enjoy live performances again. 

Changeling Theatre returns with the Shakespeare spectacle 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', touring across South London and beyond, performing in outdoor spaces until the 15th August. Venues include London, Sevenoaks, Margate, Brighton, Greenwich, Isle of Wight and Maidstone. The company was founded in 1997, producing entertaining theatre in non-traditional locations for underserved community audiences across South East England. Taking theatre beyond the stage, they've had performances in locations including castles, football grounds, parks and gardens. 

Rob Forknall directs 'A Midsummer Nights Dream', bringing the classic tale to a place of contemporary relevance. The timeless piece is fun, engaging and hilarious. The company describe their take as 'gothic fantasy meets Ru Paul's Drag Race' and a fantastical feast that's a delight for all ages.

As they tour the show, they're bringing their exciting work to a range of spaces. successfully entertaining the masses, helping to bring people together again and relish in the beauty of Shakespeare. The wonderful storytelling and elements of modern day allow the show to be particularly relatable, entertaining and suitable for all.

IN CONVERSATION WITH JAKE RICHARDS:

Jake Alexander Richards is a 25 year old actor from Maidstone, Kent. He is currently playing the roles of Bottom & Hermia’s Father Egeus in the production. I spoke to him to find out more about the process and the play.

How does it feel to back creating theatre after so long? 
JAKE: "It is honestly as good a feeling as scoring a hat trick! It is so good to be back doing what I love! I was petrified for the first day of rehearsals because I genuinely forgot all my training and how to act."

What was the casting/ audition process like? 
JAKE: "It was an interesting process because I originally went up for Demetrius (one of the lovers) which I self-taped for and then I got a recall but for the role of Bottom. I thought it was a misprint when I saw so I called up my agent and she said that they’d changed their mind and thought I was more suited to Bottom."

What have rehearsals been like?  
JAKE: "Rehearsals have been incredible, I can hold my hand on my heart and say that I haven’t stopped laughing throughout! Every time I do a play I am always amazed at how each director’s process is a complete contrast and underestimate how many different ways the same story can be interpreted. I have never had so much freedom with a character before, Bottom is by far the most physically demanding character I have ever played because he is so ridiculous! Rather than doing loads of table work or physical work we got into the space everyday and kept playing as if we were kids in the playground. This I feel has brought out my best work so far because it has allowed me to be so free and impulsive without becoming too intellectual about the text and the process. I have had so many great moments in these rehearsals but I would say the prime highlight was probably turning up everyday doing what I love."

For those that don’t know, briefly summarise the story and your part in it? 
JAKE: "Two important things to note: The style of the play is Ru Paul’s Drag Race meets Gothic Fantasy, and secondly we switched over the parts of Oberon & Titania so that Oberon falls in love with Bottom and not the other way around."

"On Midsummer’s night, four young lovers find themselves in an enchanted and mysterious forest, ruled by prying pixies and feuding fairies. The Fairy King and Queen are at war and keen but clueless amateur actors Bottom, Quince and friends are putting on a play. Mischievous fairy Puck is up to no good, playing tricks on them all in a magical comic tale where the course of true love is well and truly scuppered."

What’s the companies aim with the piece? What do you hope the audience take away? 
JAKE: "Our aim is to revive Shakespeare’s language telling this beautifully funny story and bring it back to the county of Kent and The South East. I hope that the audience will have a sore tummy and cheeks from laughing so much!"

What's been your process for this character? 
JAKE: "My process has been slightly different for this project! I am usually an over worker and have tried to distribute my time and energy more evenly instead of focusing on one particular thing. I knew that Bottom and I aren’t too dissimilar so I trusted that and relied on my instincts, playfulness and comic timing to build the character of Bottom! Rob the director always wanted Bottom to be a Maidstone Farmer so that was my base and then I helped it grow from there. Being a Maidstone lad myself, I knew the area, the culture, the accent and everything else, so it was just a matter of me exploring that even more."

What’s it like performing outside? And taking it to different spaces? JAKE: "Performing outside is something I have never done before but I have absolutely loved it! There are different things you have to consider unlike traditional indoor theatres ie. weather, echo, spacing etc. Shakespeare set most of his plays outside so to do it in a similar setting nearly everyday only enhances our performances more. The thing that still baffles me is how each beautiful venue completely transforms each performance we do, a lot of the time we’re not doing anything different. If a venue has tricky terrain or a smaller/bigger space then we usually have an earlier call time to ensure we have enough time to re-block the scenes and warm up in the space."

What's the directors take on it? Where it’s set? The themes? 
JAKE: "Rob the director is having the time of his life! He’s having as much fun directing it as we are performing it! It is set in Kent however we still reference Athens due to Iambic Purposes. The show is very musical and physical, the amazing Julia and Lydia have helped us to combine the physical and musical nature of the play to tell the story!"

How’s it been working as a company? 
JAKE: "This company is unreal! Not only are they all so talented but they are all such lovely genuine people who I will stay in touch with for the rest of my career. Everyone is on the same level, we set high standards as a company and everyone meets them each and everyday! The show brings joy and laughter and not to mention a few surprises!"

How can others purchase tickets and why should they come to watch?
JAKE: "So anyone that wants to come and experience so fantastic Theatre again should follow the link below to get tickets, venue information and dates etc."


"This show is for everyone no matter your age and background! It is a celebration of the theatre world coming back to life once again."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'POWER IN PILATES' WITH LAUREN RUTHERFORD

Welcome to my Blog!

'LIBERATION IN ART?' WITH SOPHIA GABRIELIDES